POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION BOARD(PMEB)
- The Post Graduate Medical Education Board is operational from December 2013. The Board comprises of a Chairman, and 5 members and a secretary who is also the Registrar of the Medical Council.
The board determines the registrability of the General practitioner as specialist and makes or does not make a recommendation to the council.
- The Postgraduate Medical Education Board examines all applications for registration as specialists whether same is submitted by citizens or non-citizens. The recommendation of the Postgraduate Medical Education Board is discussed and ratified at a sitting of the Council.
- Section 23 has been amended to provide for a Postgraduate Medical Education Board which amongst others hold the following responsibilities: –
- assist the Council in the determination of applications for registration as specialist;
- assess the knowledge, skills and experience of a general practitioner who applies for registration as a specialist;
- make recommendations to the Council by preparing and submitting an assessment report to the Council.
- Post Graduate Medical Education Board is defined at Section 23A of the Medical Council Act.
23A. Postgraduate Medical Education Board
- For the purposes of section 23(1)(b), there shall be set up a Postgraduate Medical Education Board.
- The Minister may, after consultation with the Council, make such regulations as he considers necessary –
- for the purposes of specifying the objects, functions and composition of the Board; and
- for any ancillary matter.
5. The Postgraduate Medical Education Board meet as and when required.